In Australia there is currently a paucity of educational opportunities for mental health professionals in the area of intellectual disability mental health. For example there is:
- very limited availability of specialised trainee positions for psychiatrists in ID,
- a lack of postgraduate and continuing professional development opportunities in this area for the five key professional groups, and
- an absence of credentialing within this area.
This situation has had a significant impact on the preparedness of the workforce to delivery services to people with an intellectual disability.
- develop an Intellectual Disability Mental Health Training Framework which will provide a competency based educational pathway for trainees seeking specialisation in the area of intellectual disability, and
- to facilitate the development and implementation of ID specific educational opportunities.