Today, December 3 is the International Day of People with Disability. I am Tahli Hind, and I am a project administrator at 3DN. As a person with a disability, I am proud to celebrate this day. The International Day of People with Disability is important to me because it gives me the opportunity to show everyone what people with disability can do. I want to prove that when given the right supports and opportunities, people with disability can succeed in what they want to do in life.
For me, this means working at 3DN, UNSW Sydney. At 3DN, I am accepted for who I am and can contribute to society through this meaningful role. I love my role because it allows me to help other people with disability to access the right services to succeed in the wider community and be treated equally.
As a project administrator at 3DN, I help on different projects, including:
- developing an accessible website for the mental health of people with intellectual disability
- improving palliative care services for people with intellectual disability
- how we can measure the contribution of people with disability in society
- commenting on policy aimed at improving the health care of people with intellectual disability
- developing accessible health resources
- advising on the accessibility of health resources and research.
This year's International Day of People with Disability's theme is, 'Leadership and participation of persons with disabilities toward an inclusive, accessible and sustainable post-COVID-19 world'. Within my role at 3DN, I have been able to contribute to this mission.
3DN has supported me within my role in the COVID-19 world by supporting me to work from home, and focussing on and helping me build on my strengths while making my work accessible. I have grown and built skills that have led me to contribute to organisations and projects that support the health of people with intellectual disability. My experiences have helped me realise what we as a community can do to make information more accessible. These skills will support me in all my future endeavours.
Please see a video below about the importance of International Day of People with Disability.